The time has arrived. Day 1 of this year’s Snowball Music Festival has upon us, as was some spring snow yesterday. Given this is an outdoor festival taking place at a popular location, here are three things to know before you venture out the door.
1) The box office is open until 9pm tonight and there are single day tickets available http://ow.ly/vrCLt.But there is no re-entry.
2) Transportation alternatives to driving to Sports Authority Field at Mile High:
– Uber is running a festival promotion. Download the app and enter code SNOWBALLMUSIC to receive a $20.00 credit toward towards your first Uber ride (credit available to first time Uber users only – Credit expires on 12/31/2014).
– The RTD bus has routes to and from the stadium from various areas around Denver. Go to their website for route info and schedule: http://www.rtd-denver.com/.
– Light Rail also has trains going directly to the stadium via the C, E or W Lines and new Decatur-Federal Station (West Corridor Line). Use the RTD link above to view maps and fares.
3) The party doesn’t end when the festival ends. There are a number of after parties around town, including The Floozies at Cassleman’s, Triopicool at Norad, and an Escort DJ set and Inner Oceans at 1up Colfax. Get tickets here: http://ow.ly/vrDoA.
Now that the housekeeping has been done, on to today’s acts.
This is Denver and Snowball has naturally tapped our talent pool. This includes the highly energetic house DJ and producer, Option4, who has released a slew of popular deep house tracks and remixes, and had a packed tour schedule for a number of years now. Having just returned from SXSW and WMC in Miami, catching his set will be as fun to watch as it is to dance to. Guaranteed. Set time is 8:45pm.
Speaking of the above FLASH/LIGHTS remix, said electro dance act from Denver has changed its identity to RoseQuartz, but the infectious groove and sultry vocal beats are as inviting as ever. Catch their set at 4:45pm.
For fans of Option4, add The Floozies (set 6:15pm) and Escort (set 7:15pm) to your plans. Heavy in the area of funk and disco, The Floozies duo from Lawrence deliver up a deep dish of bass-infused delights from their album, ‘Tell Your Mother,’ from “Love, Sex, And Fancy Things” to the vintage video game tweaks and squeaks on “Booger Bear.”
Escort out of Brooklyn is ripe for doing the bump via “Love in Indigo,” a perfect track for shakin’ that groove thang, for feeling like you’ve been transported back to a time with Soul Train was taking the music world by storm. “A Sailboat in the Moonlight” bubbles with tropical percussion, all tied together with soulful vocals and touches of horns in all the right places.
Floating electro rhythms and baritone vocals make for captivating soundscapes from Drew Englander, the man behind Real Magic. His 2013 album ‘Deep Breathing’ is very much a cathartic trip into tranquility and bliss, twinkling with “The Trance” and moving unconsciously to “Dancing On My Own.” Set time is 6:00pm.
Warpaint continue to make their venture across the country and globe, from SXSW where they first made their mark over four years ago, to this lovely festival in Denver. With tracks from their new self-titled album in tow, the sultry and talented four-piece will headline at 9:00pm this first day. Check out our recent Warpaint review of their self-titled album.